Milledgeville State Hospital Buildings
Central State Hospital was constructed in Milledgeville in 1842 for the purpose of providing medical and mental health care for individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and epilepsy. Originally called the Georgia Lunatic Asylum, it was renamed the Georgia State Sanitarium in 1897 and Central State Hospital in 1967. At its peak in the early 1960s, it housed over 12,000 patients and was the largest mental health institution in the United States. The architectural drawings in this collection date from 1949 to 1962 and show that the hospital segregated its facilities by constructing separate buildings for white and African American patients.